National Inter Club Inter/Junior Quarter Final

Bagenalstown 7 Deerpark 2

National Inter/Junior Inter Club Quarter Final:

Bagenalstown 7 Deerpark 2

Played @ Lakeside Pitch & Putt Club.

After coming through the group stages with a 100% record we were hopeful of creating the same form which might see us over the line. Our Scotch Foursomes matches started at 10.30am and first out for Bagenalstown was the pairing of Doney McNally and Liam Shinnors where they faced Creagh Courtney and Hugh O'Sullivan. This was a nip and tuck match all the way to the 18th where Doney and Liam emerged 1 up to put us on the scoreboard.

The second match was between our own Patrick Robinson and Mark Lillis and they came up against St.John Kelliher and Jason O'Brien. This was another epic encounter with both teams well under par. The Deerpark duo took the lead for the first time on the 17th with a birdie to leave them 1up again heading to the 18th. Patrick and Mark saw a birdie putt slide by to lose the match 1up and level up the match.

The final match of the scotch foursomes was Darren Mc Nally and Roy Oneill against Deerpark's captain James Fleming and Aidan O'Keeffe. Again this was an extremely close match and they were all square playing the 18th. Darren and Roy got their par to put pressure on the opposition but up stepped Aidan O'Keeffe who sank an absolute monster putt from off the bottom of the green with the pin at the top which left us 2-1 down after the doubles.

Our Captain Joe Paul Kelly decided to stick with the same team for the singles. Out first was Doney McNally and he faced a member of the Kerry Gents Senior Inter County team in St.John Kelliher. This game followed the pattern of the doubles and went all the way to the 18th where it was all square. Both players pitches were off the green. St.John's chip was difficult but he left it on the middle of the green to leave himself a chance at the par. Doney chipped his up beside the hole to secure the par. St.John's putt just turned past the hole to leave the overall score at 2-2 which all the matches tight in behind.

The next singles match was between our own Patrick Robinson and Creagh Courtney. This promised to be another great match and it lived up to its billing. After Creagh won the 3rd Patrick won four holes in a row to be 3up. Creagh steadied the ship and the back 9 was nip and tuck. Patrick was 2up coming to the 16th which Creagh won with a par. This was the 5th game to go to the 18th, Creagh stepped up and left his pitch 4 feet from the hole with Patrick on the lip of the bunker. Patrick's chip lipped the right edge of the hole and Courtney sank his putt to being the game to sudden death. On the 19th Creagh pitched to the back of the green and Patrick was 6 feet short of the hole. The Deerpark man's putt slipped by and Patrick had a putt to win the match. The putt went in the left side to "putt" Bagenalstown ahead 3-2 and we never looked back from there.

Darren McNally was next up against John O'Brien. This was a remarkable game. At one stage McNally was 5 down but he got the spin under control on soft greens and kicked into gear with five birdies in a row which left the game all square again heading up the 18th. Both players pitched off the green. Darren was first to go leaving his chip 3 feet from the hole putting pressure on John. John's chip landed just short of the green, his par attempt was left beside the hole leaving Darren with a putt for the win and he duly obliged leaving us 4-2 ahead and needing only 1 more point for victory.

Next was Liam Shinnors and Deerpark's captain James Fleming. Both players are off 9 so no shots given as you guessed it this game was as close as it gets with both players well under par producing some great pitch and putt. It was all square coming down the 18th (the seventh match to go to the last!!) where Liam had a great pitch to 4 feet with James just off the green. He got his par but Liam got his birdie putt to give us victory

The last 2 singles matches finished up around the same time. Roy O'Neill was against Kieran O'Keeffe. Another close encounter with Roy 1up coming to the 17th where he pitched to 3 feet with his opponent in the bunker. O'Keeffe couldn't get up and down and Roy got his birdie to win 2&1 and give us a 6-2 advantage.

In behind them in the final match was Mark Lillis against another member of the Kerry Gents Senior team Jason O'Brien. This game was as close as the rest but half way through the back 9 Mark showed his abilities and finished the match on the 16th to win 3&2 which saw us incredibly winning all 6 singles matches and leave Lakeside with a 7-2 victory. Without a doubt the margin of victory was overwhelming and didn't do our opponents justice it was only a few putts between the sides.

Other players on our team were Ken Campion, Paddy Robinson and our captain Joe Paul Kelly, no doubt these lads will be pushing hard for a place for the semi final where we face Collinstown of Westmeath who were very impressive today.

We would like to thank the Deerpark club for a most enjoyable and a game played in the manner it should be. No doubt you'll be back again and the future of the club is bright with the young talent on show today.

We would also like to thank the Lakeside club, the course was in immaculate condition even after all the rain over the last week with the greens top class as always.

Again many thanks to Niall Reynolds, this is a superb competition which should have every club in the country entering it. He had events running like clockwork and on time. There was no delays starting either round and with 8 teams it was a great achievement.

Finally the most thanks should be given to our supporters the McNally family and Eugene Doran