John Manning looks at some of the facts and figures from last Sunday’s event in Bellewstown
- Paula Lynch (Oldcastle) & Kevin Carolan (Rathfeigh) are the fifth Co. Meath pairing (and the third two-club combination) in history to win the National Mixed Foursomes (now the National Mixed Scotch Foursomes). All of the two-club combinations to win the National Mixed Foursomes have been from Co. Meath – Paula & Kevin join Ian Farrelly (Duleek) & Catherine McCreevy (Navan) and William Sheridan (Bellewstown) &Catherine McCreevy (Navan).
- Paula & Kevin’s winning margin of eight shots is obviously the highest winning marginin the new Scotch Foursomes format but it is also the most comfortable victory margin since the National Mixed Foursomes began in 1971, eclipsing the six stroke cushion enjoyed by Jack & Mary O’Rourke of Majestic at Ierne in 1972.
- Bellewstown became the fifth Co. Meath club to host a National Mixed Foursomes Final – following Royal Meath (1991), Dunshaughlin (1996), Gaeil Colmcille (2000) and Castletown (2008).
- Marie & Richard Brennan (Bellewstown) graduated from the Best Second Session prize at Lakeside last year to Runners-Up spot in the 2019 National Mixed Foursomes at Bellewstown.
- William Carry & Derek Seery (Bellewstown) are the first winners of the new National Scotch Foursomes (Non-Mixed) event and the fourth pairing in nine years to win a National Foursomes title over their home course.
- In all, six pairs in history have won a National Mixed Foursomes title or a National Scotch Foursomes title over their home course. The others are: Joe Kearney & Pat Kearney (Fermoy), David Hayden & Bernie Barton (Lucan), Ailish Sexton & David Sexton (Fermoy), Concepta Maddick & Gerry Rock (Seapoint) and Marie O'Toole & Ted Flynn (Lucan).
- Darren Keogh & Chrissie Byrne (Ryston) have now won the Best Gross at the National Mixed Foursomes on three occasions (2013, 2018, 2019) – equalling Jack & Rose McCormack (Kilbeggan) -1980, 1982, 1988, Christy McDermott & Geraldine Ward (Portmarnock) - 1986, 1992, 2000 and Ray Murphy (Templebreedy/St.Anne's) & Linda Murphy (Collins) - 2008, 2009, 2015.
- Darren Keogh joins Eleanor Walsh (Fermoy) and Linda Murphy (Collins) as a four-time winner (with different partners) of the Best Gross in the National Mixed Foursomes.
- Ian Donnelly won Best Gross in the National Scotch Foursomes 20 years after he took Best Gross (alongside Ann Fagan) in the 1999 National Mixed Foursomes at Cloghogue.
- Ian Donnelly won Best Gross in the National Scotch Foursomes on the same course where he was crowned 2016 Leinster Matchplay Champion.
- Sean Clerkin’s impressive 2019 form continued - Best Gross in the National Scotch Foursomes added to Leinster Intermediate Strokeplay win and a third place in the National U-20 Strokeplay Championship.
- Michael Long & Ian Leech are the 17th Co. Cork pairing but the first from St. Annes to achieve a second place finish in a National Foursomes final.
- A National Foursomes title was decided by the Back 18 tiebreaker for the eighth time – it was also used in 2010, 2000, 1999, 1988, 1983, 1982 and 1975.
- Chris McCarthy & Jimmy Scanlon (Tullamore) teamed-up to win the first session award at the National Mixed Foursomes four years after they won the Leinster Mixed Foursomes at The Acres.
- Mary Murray & John Murray are the first Rocklodge pairing to win a prize at the National Mixed Foursomes since Mary teamed-up with John Tracey to take Best First 18 at Ringcommons five years ago.
- Jerry Thompson & Stephen McCabe are the first combination from Castletown to win a prize at the National Mixed Foursomes.
- Adrian Anglim & Joe Hickey emulate their Hillview club-mates David Cahill & Veronica Anglim by winning a Session prize at the National Mixed Foursomes.
Latest National News
|2021 NEC Latest|
|Pitch and Putt Ireland Latest|
|Kildare Clubs Please Note|
Latest Regional News
|Cara Centre Sport Inclusion Disability Charter|
|Outdoor facilities may open for children's coaching|
|Message from Mervyn 24.10.20|
|Level 5 Restrictions update|
|Michael Hayes RIP|